The constitution of the Presbyterian Church in America, which is subject to and subordinate to the Scriptures of the old and new testaments, the inerrant word Of God, consists of its doctrinal standards set forth in: the Westminster Confession of Faith (WCF), together with the Larger (WLC) and Shorter Catechisms (WSC), and the Book of Church Order (BCO), comprising the Form of Government, the Rules of Discipline and the Directory for Worship.
- The Beliefs of the PCA includes links to the WCF and BCO.
- What does it mean to Be REFORMED & (What are REFORMED BELIEFS)
- Baptism & Church Membership
- We are an “Ordinary Means of Grace” Church
A Synopsis of the Beliefs of the Presbyterian Church in America
1. About Scripture – The Bible is the inspired and inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
2. About God – There is one God, eternal and self-existing in three persons (Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit) who are to be equally loved, honored, and adored.
3. About Jesus Christ – Jesus is the eternal Son within the Godhead. He is 1 person existing in 2 natures, divine and human; God and Man.
4. About Sin – All mankind participated in Adam’s fall from his original sinless state and is thus lost in sin and totally helpless.
5. About Salvation – The Sovereign God, for no other reason than His own unfathomable love and mercy, has chosen lost sinners from every nation to be redeemed by the quickening power of the Holy Spirit and through the life, atoning death and resurrection of His son, Jesus Christ. In that, salvation is a gift, which is to say it is by Grace.
6. About the Work of the Spirit in the life of the Believer – Those sinners whom the Spirit quickens and empowers, come to believe in Christ as Savior by the Word of God, are born again, become sons of God, and will persevere to the end.
7. About Justification – It is by grace through faith that the undeserving sinner is clothed with the righteousness of Christ.
8. About Sanctification – The goal of God’s salvation in the life of the Christian is holiness, good works, and service for the glory of God. In short, as we walk by Faith we are being conformed into the image of Jesus.
9. About Glorification – At death the Christian’s soul passes immediately into the presence of God and the unbeliever’s soul is eternally separated from God unto condemnation. At the New Creation believers are given new glorified bodies.
10. About Baptism – Baptism is a sign and seal of God’s covenant and is properly administered to children of believers in their infancy as well as to those who come as adults to trust in Christ.
11. About the 2nd Coming – Jesus Christ will return to earth, visibly and bodily, at a time when He is not expected, to consummate history and the eternal plan of God.